Table of Contents

divorce mediation

Obtaining a divorce in Australia is typically a straightforward procedure, although there may be instances where one spouse refuses to sign the necessary documents. If your ex-spouse refuses to sign the divorce papers it can be frustrating and challenging. However, there are options available to proceed with the divorce process. Here are some steps you can take.


Attempt Mediation with your Ex


Mediation can help resolve disputes and encourage cooperation. You can suggest mediation to your ex-spouse as a way to work through any disagreements and come to an agreement on signing the divorce papers. Mediation involves a neutral third party who can help facilitate communication and find mutually acceptable solutions.


Serve the Divorce Papers


If your ex-spouse is unresponsive or unwilling to sign the divorce papers, you can still proceed by serving the papers on them. In Australia, you can use a professional process server or the Australian Family Law Registry to formally serve the papers. After service, your ex-spouse has a specific timeframe to respond. If they fail to do so, you may be able to request a divorce by default through the Family Court.


Seek Legal Assistance from Family Lawyers


Dealing with a situation where your ex-spouse refuses to sign the divorce papers can be legally complex. It’s advisable to seek legal assistance from a qualified family lawyers who can provide guidance on the best course of action. A family lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, represent your interests, and ensure that your rights are protected.


Attend Court


If your ex-spouse contests the divorce application or raises any issues, the court may require you to attend a hearing to resolve the dispute. It’s essential to be prepared for this possibility and seek legal representation to advocate for your interests in court.


Divorce laws and procedures can vary in different jurisdictions within Australia. Moreover, it’s crucial to familiarise yourself with the specific requirements in your state or territory. Overall, dealing with a situation where your ex-spouse refuses to sign divorce papers can be challenging, but with proper legal guidance and following the appropriate legal procedures, you can still proceed with the divorce process.

How to Apply for a Divorce in NSW?

Applying for a divorce in New South Wales, involves several steps. To be eligible for a divorce in NSW, you need to have been separated from your spouse for at least 12 months and have no likelihood of reconciliation. You or your spouse must also be an Australian citizen, have lived in Australia for at least 12 months prior to filing the divorce application, or consider Australia as your permanent home.


Then you need to complete the Application for Divorce form, which is available on the Federal Circuit Court of Australia’s website. This form requires you to provide personal details about yourself, your spouse, and your marriage. This application can be done online through the commonwealth courts portal.


In addition, you will need to attach supporting documents to your divorce application. This includes a copy of your marriage certificate and any relevant documents that proves your separation, such as a separation certificate, court order, or affidavit.


Once you have completed the application form and gathered all the supporting documents, you need to file them with the Federal Circuit Court of Australia. You can do this online or by visiting the court registry in person. There is a filing fee, but you may be eligible for a fee reduction or exemption if you meet certain criteria.


After filing the application, you need to serve a copy of the application and all supporting documents on your spouse. This can be done by mail or in person, and you need to provide proof of service to the court. Usually you will need to show the court the acknowledgement of service by your ex.


If there are no complications and your application is in order, the court will schedule a hearing. You and your spouse do need to attend the hearing unless you have made a joint application. If the court is satisfied with your application, a divorce order will be granted.


Finally, after the divorce order is granted, it does not take effect for one month and one day. Once this period has passed, you can request a divorce certificate from the Family Court of Australia.

What is a Joint Divorce Application in NSW?

A joint divorce application in NSW refers to a legal process where both spouses mutually agree to seek a divorce and jointly apply for it. In other words, both parties are in agreement that the marriage has broken down irretrievably and wish to end the marital relationship through a divorce.


A joint divorce application involves both spouses working together to complete and file the necessary documents with the Family Court of Australia or the Federal Circuit Court of Australia. The application is jointly signed by both spouses, and they both acknowledge that they are seeking a divorce by consent. This means that both parties are in agreement about the grounds for divorce, such as irretrievable breakdown of the marriage, and have reached an agreement on issues such as property division, custody of children, and spousal maintenance (if these are applicable).


A joint divorce application can be a relatively straightforward and cost-effective way to obtain a divorce in NSW. It avoids the need for one party to serve divorce papers on the other and eliminates the need for a formal hearing in court. However, it’s important to note that even in a joint divorce application, both parties are still required to comply with the legal requirements of divorce, including meeting the residency requirements and providing evidence of the breakdown of the marriage.

Going To Court?

Send An Online Enquiry

“Thank you Lyons Law Group on providing me an exceptional service delivered with care, compassion and a high level of professionalism. The outcome was more than what I had expected. A true reflection of your legal expertise and experience. Thank you Mohammad and team.”
Layalle Itaoui

How to Get a Divorce Certificate in NSW?

After your divorce is finalised, you can request a divorce certificate from the Federal Circuit Court of Australia. These are some of the steps to assist you in this process;


  • You need to complete the Application for Divorce Certificate form, which is available on the Federal Circuit Court of Australia’s website. This form requires you to provide details about yourself, your spouse, and your divorce, including the date and place of the divorce.
  • Once you have completed the application form, you need to submit it to the Federal Circuit Court of Australia along with the required fee. You can do this by post or attending in person at the court registry.
  • The processing time for a divorce certificate can vary, but it typically takes a few weeks. If there are any issues with your application, the court will contact you for additional information.
  • Once your application is processed and approved, the Federal Circuit Court of Australia will mail you the divorce certificate to the address you provided on the application form. This certificate is an official legal document that confirms the dissolution of your marriage.

Obtaining a divorce certificate in NSW involves following the proper legal procedures and submitting the necessary forms and documents to the Federal Circuit Court of Australia. You must meet the eligibility criteria and provide accurate information to avoid any delays or complications in the process.


Accordingly, if you are planning to initiate a divorce but have concerns that your former partner may be uncooperative or that your ex won’t sign the divorce papers. It is best to seek legal advice from a divorce lawyer at Lyons Law Group.


  • Lyons Law Group | Criminal Defence Lawyers

    Lyons Law Group is a boutique firm of expert criminal solicitors and barristers. Lyons Law Group is dedicated to strong advocacy when representing its clients with an approach that is tailored to every client’s specific needs.